Re: Why do we name nodes and not edges?

I don't think that Steve was suggesting it might ever be useful or recommended - just possible. :-)

Let's see.

The simplest thing I can come up with (thanks Mike Uschold) is:
id:john id:john_married_jane id:jane .
id:john_married_jane id:in_place id:london .
and you could then do:
SELECT ?where WHERE { ?s id:john_married_jane ?w . id:john_married_jane id:in_place ?where }
you would probably benefit from
id:john_married_jane rdfs:subPropertyOf id:married .

I dumped some stuff in a store, if you want to try:
http://test.rkbexplorer.com/sparql/
And of course as Linked Data: http://test.rkbexplorer.com/id/john_married_jane
RDF is here: http://test.rkbexplorer.com/models/me.ttl
The above query is
(http://test.rkbexplorer.com/sparql/?format=browse&query=PREFIX+id%3A+++%3Chttp%3A%2F%2Ftest.rkbexplorer.com%2Fid%2F%3E%0D%0ASELECT+%3Fwhere+WHERE+%7B+%3Fs+id%3Ajohn_married_jane+%3Fw+.+id%3Ajohn_married_jane+id%3Ain_place+%3Fwhere+%7D%0D%0A)

I also have some labels (everything should always have labels, even/especially properties), so you can do:
SELECT ?event_label ?where_label WHERE
{ ?s id:john_married_jane ?w . id:john_married_jane id:in_place ?where . id:john_married_jane rdfs:label ?event_label . ?where rdfs:label ?where_label .}

As I say, I am not sure how useful it is.
In fact for this sort of thing I prefer to move to a proper event-based model, as CIDOC/CRM does.
But it is all perfectly valid, and looking back at it, it seems a perfectly sensible way of doing it.
So it must be one of the patterns that modelling people recommend? ;-)
I could have complicated it with bnodes or classes, but I think this makes it quite readable.
A little amusement on a sunny Sunday afternoon - better than having to do the gardening.
Back to the Olympics and the GrandPrix - life is so tiring.

Cheers