 From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
To: Stefan Decker <stefan.decker@deri.org>
Cc: Helena Deus <helena.deus@deri.org>; Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>; "nathan@webr3.org" <nathan@webr3.org>; Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>; "semantic-web@w3.org" <semantic-web@w3.org>; "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>; "www-rdf-interest@w3.org" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>; "protege-discussion@lists.stanford.edu" <protege-discussion@lists.stanford.edu>; "semanticweb@yahoogroups.com" <semanticweb@yahoogroups.com>; "dbworld@cs.wisc.edu" <dbworld@cs.wisc.edu>; "machine-learning@egroups.com" <machine-learning@egroups.com>; "taverna-users@lists.sourceforge.net" <taverna-users@lists.sourceforge.net>; "bbb@bioinformatics.org" <bbb@bioinformatics.org>
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2012 9:00 AM
Subject: Re: position in cancer informatics

On Fri, 2012-07-20 at 10:22 +0100, Stefan Decker wrote:
> The discussion seem to point to a deeper question: how to enable crowd
> sourcing of the analysis of these kind of data sets? This may involve
> running of analysis code or maybe even manual work.
> What kind of computational infrastructure would we need to enable
> this? And how do we validate and aggregate results?

Unfortunately, in the USA at least, the biggest barriers are not
technical, but social, because: (a) health information privacy laws such
as HIPAA
http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/
make it difficult or impossible to publish the raw data that would be
most useful for research; and (b) researchers do not have the incentive
to publish their data that might allow other researchers to make
discoveries.

There is a tension between privacy and the usefulness of data for
research, because full de-identification removes information that can be
critical to determining cause and effect, such as dates, times and
locations.

We need better ways -- both bottom-up, such as http://weconsent.us/, and
top-down, such as legal changes -- to both encourage the availability of
research data and to facilitate appropriate access to it, such as
establishing well-defined tiers of access for different purposes.

We need technical solutions that will help us work through and around
these social barriers.

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
http://dbooth.org/