Re: Well Behaved RDF - Taming Blank Nodes, etc.

On 19 Dec 2012, at 18:43, Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com> wrote:

> On 2012-12-19, at 16:36, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
>>> In any otherwise you end up with names that are just complicated blank nodes, and you
>>> then have exactly the same problem as blank nodes, except you just end up growning and
>>> growing your names as you go along.
>>
>> Well, except they don't have the same problems as blank nodes: UUID URIs are stable from one query to the next and can be linked to and referenced across document/database-context.
>
> Yes, this is the key problem with bNodes, which means you have to be /really/ careful about how and when you use them.

No, its' the opposite. This is a key problem with UUIDs as I argued in my later mail
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2012Dec/0097.html

Not every thing that looks like a URI really works like one. For example file:///... URIs
usually are not global identifiers, and even though software accepts it, it's just a hack
people use to get around software that forces them into this kind of situation.

UUIDs are not a good way to go. They make it look like there is agreement, when in fact
conceptually things are just as broken.

> We have local hacks to get round the issue, but that's not great. RDF 1.1 bNode skolemisation provides a more generic solution.

Something I'd have to look into.

> - Steve

A short message from my sponsors: Vive la France!
Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/