Re: Well Behaved RDF - Taming Blank Nodes, etc.

Thanks all, especially Pat.
That all makes some sense to me - I was despairing that I understood, and that the discussion might reach any consensus.

So no-one is suggesting outlawing blank nodes.
But there is something of a feeling that having a URI is a useful thing, and if it isn't too much trouble, please can you use a URI.

After all, the work to publish RDF only gets done once, but (hopefully!) the work to consume it gets done a lot.

I hesitate to go back to the "complete nonsense", but I think David's example actually also illustrates the issue I raised with labels and strings.
> A string literal should only ever appear as the object of rdfs:label (or something that could naturally be made a sub-property of rdfs:label, such as foaf:name).

Consider what David might have said:

:some-photo :depicts "Horse standing next to Ann Romney 2012-07-25" .

It seems much better to say
:some-photo :depicts :romney-horse-2012-07-25 .
:romney-horse-2012-07-25 rdfs:label "Horse standing next to Ann Romney 2012-07-25" .

For exactly the same arguments about blank nodes v. URIs.
But people do have a tendency to ignore that there is a horse resource. Making them ask the question of whether there should be a URI for the resource, as a rule of thumb, is in my view a useful thing to do. You can always decide not to.

I actually think it is bad modelling to use one triple, but as I said before, I see it all the time.
It is using a resource, which is a string, as a proxy for something else.
A major promise of the Semantic Web (and especially Linked Data) was that we would get away from using strings as identifiers for things, with their inherent ambiguity &c..

I am sure some people will still consider this "complete nonsense", but I find it really useful in terms of generating my RDF, as well as advising other people how to make their RDF easily consumable by me. I don't always introduce a resource, but it means I am less likely to miss one out accidentally.

There you go.
Best
Hugh