Re: Well Behaved RDF - Taming Blank Nodes, etc.

On Thu, 2012-12-13 at 15:14 -0500, Ivan Herman wrote:
[ . . . ]
> I think it would still be better to explain these things in a syntax
> independent way. After all, I may want to use JSON-LD or RDFa...
>
> Distilling the various mails and concentrating on bnodes only, what
> seems to be the pattern is
>
> - bnodes can appear in at most one triple as an object
> - there can be no cycle in the graphs involving bnodes
>
> Would that suffice as a more formal definition?

As of today I think that would suffice, though I'm unsure of the details
of how the "no bnode cycles" constraint should be formalized.  Perhaps
Jeremy Carroll or one of the authors of
http://web.ing.puc.cl/~marenas/publications/iswc11.pdf
could comment.

But Turtle currently does not allow inverse property notation:
http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/track/issues/95
If that feature were added and the syntax independent definition were
still going to track what can be expressed in Turtle without explicit
bnodes, then the definition would get more complex.

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
http://dbooth.org/

reflect those of his employer.