RE: Semantic Web for the Film Industry

On 2012-03-09, Emmanuelle Gutiérrez y Restrepo wrote:

> I love this field and I do a research about it long time ago for the
> SWAD-Europe [1]

Even after a month and then some, I'd like to put on the table a very
simple, practical claim: you can only sell the idea of Semantic Web to a
target audience if you already have:

  1) a piece of software which extracts their favourite metadata from
     their most widely used format, into the easiest to use and most
     efficient representation of RDF triples,
  2) you have another piece of software which takes those triples into
     something they already want to do, like Spotify compliant metadata
     or something their anti-ip-fraud-software eats natively,
  3) you can demonstrate that it scales to their volumes of at least tens
     of millions of applications per week, or even per day, cheaply
     enough, and only then
  4) you can show some extra value from this kind of processing.

That sort of thing is pretty much trivial to do, especially from the
point of view of semantic web enthusiasts. We already know parser
theory, compiler compilers, all of what the data preservation movement
does, and so on. But we rarely go quite into the nitty gritty level the
film, music, book or other content industries would like us to. We think
we're above that, somehow.

Believe you me, even a simple pair of metadata extractor from the
publishing industry's most-used-format and an uploader from there to
their copyright-upholding software (with the intermediate
checksums/signatures evidently publishable) would prolly be not just a
sell-through, but a thorough hoot. And it's no rocket surgery either. :)
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - decoy@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-50-5756111, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2