Re: relational data as a bona fide member of the SM

On Friday, November 04, 2011 2:49 PM, Glenn wrote:
"N-ary relations work great in a graph model. The only reason they seem awkward in the Semantic Web world, in my opinion, is that RDF leads us to looking at a graph *decomposition* instead of an actual assembled graph".

That's right.
But they have to do it because of the language restrictions. Any graph, as an ordered pair of vertices/nodes/points and edges/links/lines, is a type of binary, two-place or dyadic relation, like equality or membership. But N-relation R is a relation over the sets X1, …, Xn , which is a (n + 1)-tuple R = (X1, …, Xn, G(R)), where G(R) is a subset of the Cartesian product X1 × … × Xn where G(R) is the graph of R.
Another widespread issue with relations, instead of a meaningful intensional representation, they are mostly given an extensional interpretation, assuming that the extension of a relation is the relation itself.

Azamat
http://www.eis.com.cy
PS:
"When two objects, qualities, classes, or attributes, viewed together by the mind, are seen under some connexion, that connexion is called a relation." A. Morgan

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: glenn mcdonald
  To: AzamatAbdoullaev
  Cc: semantic-web@w3.org ; Frank Manola ; Sampo Syreeni ; alexandre.riazanov@gmail.com
  Sent: Friday, November 04, 2011 2:49 PM
  Subject: Re: relational data as a bona fide member of the SM

  N-ary relations work great in a graph model. The only reason they seem awkward in the Semantic Web world, in my opinion, is that RDF leads us to looking at a graph *decomposition* instead of an actual assembled graph. This effect cascades onto SPARQL and OWL, and thus we end up with a great forest we're reduced to looking at, and talking about, one twig at a time.

  glenn