Re: triple (quad) storage sizing

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 17:39 +0100, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 10/05/11 14:45, William Waites wrote:
> > I'm looking at requirements for making available some large datasets,
> > and ran the back of the envelope calculation below. . . .
>
> There are compression techniques, or data structures that don't store
> the whole of the quad where there is repetition. For example, for
> (g,s,p,o), some index data structures can store one (g,s) and all the
> (p,o).  This might well be done by a index data structure that stores
> common prefixes anyway rather than needing a special data structure for
> RDF quads.

Jim Hendler and others (Medha Atre, Jagannathan Srinivasan, James A.
Hendler) have done some work on more efficient storage for RDF:
http://www.cs.rpi.edu/%7Eatrem/bitmat_techrep.pdf
I don't know the current status of their work.

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
http://dbooth.org/

reflect those of his employer.