Re: ANN: LDIF - Linked Data Integration Framework V0.1 released.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the fast and detailed reply, it's a very interesting discussion.

Indeed, there are several ways for mapping and identity resolution.
But what strikes me is that people in the community seem to be insufficiently aware of the possibilities and performance of current reasoners.

> As you can see the data translation requires lots of structural
> transformations as well as complex property value transformations using
> various functions. All things where current logical formalisms are not very
> good at.

Oh yes, they are. All needed transformations in your paper can be performed by at least two reasoners: cwm [1] and EYE [2] by using built-ins [3]. Include are regular expressions, datatype transforms…
Frankly, every transform in the R2R example can be expressed as an N3 rule.

> If I as a application developer
> want to get a job done, what does it help me if I can exchange mappings
> between different tools that all don't get the job done?

Because different tools can contribute different results, and if you use a common language and idiom, they all can work with the same data and metadata.

> more and more developers know SPARQL which makes it easier for them to learn R2R.

The developers that know SPARQL is a proper subset of those that know plain RDF, which is what I suggest using. And even if rules are necessary, N3 is only a small extension of RDF.

> Benchmark we have the feeling that SPARQL engines are more suitable for
> this task then current reasoning engines due to their performance problems
> as well as problems to deal with inconsistent data.

The extremely solid performance [4] of EYE is too little known. It can achieve things in linear time that other reasoners can never solve.

But my main point is semantics. Why make a new system with its own meanings and interpretations, when there is so much to do with plain RDF and its widely known vocabularies (RDFS, OWL)?
Ironically, a tool which contributes to the reconciliation of different RDF sources, does not use common vocabularies to express well-known relationships.

Cheers,

Ruben

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/doc/cwm.html
[2] http://eulersharp.sourceforge.net/