OWL 2 Metamodelling and OntoClean

On May 23, in a separate
thread<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.org.w3c.semantic-web/16554>,
Markus noted:

A more recent, OWL-centric publication on meta-modelling came to my mind
now:

Birte Glimm, Sebastian Rudolph, Johanna Völker:
Integrated Metamodeling and Diagnosis in OWL 2
ISWC 2010, http://www.aifb.kit.edu/web/**Inproceedings3124<http://www.aifb.kit.edu/web/Inproceedings3124>

This is a more comprehensive discussion of the meta-modelling features that
one can practically express in OWL 2, both directly and indirectly.
--

I just read this paper, very interesting.  The authors address two
independent shortcomings of OntOWLClean, by Welty.

2. reasoning was a real problem, taking too long to get explanations that
can be used to isolate the root cause of OntoDirtiness (i.e OntoClean
constraint viloations)

It is also claimed that these drawbacks "can be overcome now that OWL 2 is
available".  In the description of the solution to the first problem, I did
not see any mention of which features of OWL 2 are being used that are
responsible for overcoming the drawbacks, and how the drawback could not be
overcome with OWL 1 Punning is mentioned, and it is certainly very
convenient, but not obviously necessary (to me anyway).

For the second drawback, role chains  were used, but the fact that they were
from OWL2 was not highlighted, nor was it argued that it would be impossible
to do that without role chains.

So I'm left without a 'smoking gun' that proves OWL2 metamodelling was the
'culprit' for the additional capabilities.  If OWL 2 only allows punning,
then how can any clever approach that works for OWL2 not also work in OWL 1
using different names?

Can anyone spot something that I missed?

NB:  These points I mention are not criticisms of the paper because arguments
about the role of OWL 2 is not the point of the paper.

Thanks,
Michael