Re: Are literals owl:Things?

From: Jeremy Carroll <jeremy@topquadrant.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 09:38:24 -0700
To: Antoine Zimmermann <antoine.zimmermann@deri.org>
CC: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>, Jesse Weaver <weavej3@rpi.edu>, semantic-web@w3.org

> Jeremy,
>

> Consider the question:
>
> << Is "42"^^xsd:integer an xsd:decimal? >>
>
> What would be your answer to this question?  I think it could be:
>
>  1) with a proof-theoretic perspective, it's a syntax error, it's
> impossible to infer:
>
>  "42"^^xsd:integer rdf:type xsd:decimal .
>
> because it's not part of the language;  or it could be:

I would actually say " I think you mean

_:x owl:sameAs "42"^^xsd:integer .
_:x rdf:type  xsd:decimal .
"

But that is overly OWL Full, I am not sure how to  ask that question in
DL, but there are many DL queries whose result depends on it.
So it is not a theological question, but is in fact practical. The
question in the subject line is not a practical question.

Jeremy