RE: call to arms

I hope you'll allow me to jump in.  I don't know most of you but have been
part of the MIT DIG group for several years and organized the Linked Data
Lab here in January.

I always point to my husband when I describe why/how the Web got successful
so fast.  He was not involved in programming or technology in any way, but
GeoCities (remember them?) made it so easy to make and post a web page on
whatever interested you, that he was able to make a page in about two hours
in 1995.  He did it because it was something new and its outcome was
self-evident (publishing to the world for free).

Since social networking isn't new and the SemWeb benefits so far are hard to
describe, I don't think that will win millions of fans.  Conversely, I think
that Linked Data could take SemWeb viral.  What is new is the concept of
getting exactly what you want to know.  I think when there's a geocities
equivalent for linked data -- something that lets a user easily build a
single query that gives them the result that today takes 20+ queries -- you
won't be able to hold back the tide.  To get there, we need more programmers
with Linked Data skills and some good standards for how to communicate
across ontologies.

Thanks, -k