Re: call to arms

From: Joe Presbrey <presbrey@csail.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 03:43:26 -0400
To: Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@gmail.com>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
Cc: Story Henry <henry.story@bblfish.net>
On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 8:06 PM, Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the Semantic Web needs to focus on something other than
> personal information as the killer application, because people simply
> won't go for distributing their personal information to anyone
> anywhere without prior authentication and future revocation that is
> provided by a centralised authority.

Of course FOAF is just served via HTTP which supports countless
authentication(authn) and authorization(authz) schemes.
Decentralization certainly does NOT preclude the user from using
user/agent authn/authz to protect any/all parts of their FOAF.

Now suppose RDF was served over some silly centralized infrastructure
like DNS...

$ dig foaf:knows@www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i.ns.rdfns.com txt
+short | grep mit
"<http://dig.csail.mit.edu/People/RRS>"
"<http://web.mit.edu/shinnyih/foaf.rdf#>"
"<http://dig.csail.mit.edu/People/yosi#YES>"
"<http://presbrey.mit.edu/foaf.rdf#presbrey>"
"<http://people.csail.mit.edu/lkagal/foaf#me>"
"<http://people.csail.mit.edu/psz/foaf.rdf#me>"
"<http://people.csail.mit.edu/ryanlee/about#ryanlee>"
"<http://web.mit.edu/ruthdhan/www/foaf.rdf#ruthdhan>"
"<http://people.csail.mit.edu/crowell/foaf.rdf#crowell>"
"<http://dig.csail.mit.edu/2007/wiki/people/JoeLambda#JL>"
"<http://dig.csail.mit.edu/2007/wiki/people/RobertHoffmann#RMH>"

Then I would have to agree with you that authorization could get a
little tricky!

I suppose now would be a good time to announce the world's first RDF
DNS nameserver, ns.rdfns.com. Best UI for the semantic web yet! :)

Best regards,
(on linux: dig foaf:name@presbrey.mit.edu/foaf#presbrey.ns.rdfns.com txt +short)
(on windows: nslookup -type=txt
foaf:name@presbrey.mit.edu/foaf#presbrey.ns.rdfns.com)