Re: What is it that's wrong with rdf:List [summary]

Le 22/06/2010 01:59, Pat Hayes a écrit :
> [...]
>
> Well, yes, of course they can. It is in a sense trivial to simply
> transcribe the rdf:List vocabulary into another namespace and just use
> that instead. And as you say, RDF assigns no formal semantics to this
> vocabulary (just a kind of vague recommendation to use it properly, and
> then interpret it as denoting the list structures it seems to describe),
> so using your own home-rolled version is just as semantically good. But
> this ignores the social utility of there being a *single* list
> vocabulary that every one uses. Without this, lists are useless. There
> is no point in my using my list vocabulary to make well-formed lists if
> you can['t query my RDF without knowing my list vocabulary. There needs
> to be a *single*, *normative* list vocabulary in order for RDF to
> function as an interchange language. And it is the using-up of the
> obvious one by OWL which is the issue with which we began. Its not
> really a technical problem at all: the technical problem is completely
> trivial. Its a political/social/standardization problem which can only
> be solved by the W3C.
>
> I disagree with jeremy about ho hard this is to solve. If we had
> collectively had the foresight to see this problem coming, the obvious
> thing to have done would to have introduced *two* LIst-style sets of
> primitives into RDF, one for general use and the other reserved for
> encoding OWL syntax. And this is still a viable alternative, given that
> RDF is being re-thought

Actually, this is exactly what the OWL 2 Working Group did in order to
allow annotations of axioms: they needed a form of reification, but they
decided not to spoil the RDF reification vocabulary, so they defined new
terms:

owl:annotatedSource
owl:annotatedProperty
owl:annotatedTarget

So, yes, this kind of solution is doable and viable.

--AZ

Its a pity that the obvious, intuitive names

--
Antoine Zimmermann
Post-doctoral researcher at: