Re: Is it okay to use xsd:anyURI as the range for a owl:DatatypeProperty ?

Sure you can use xsd:anyURI as datatypes, but be aware that these URIs are strings representing URIs rather than rdf:resources.
to make the differnce clear:

e.g. foaf:homepage data uses normally rdf:resourses,

 :me foaf:homepage <http://polleres.net>
which is something different from
 :me foaf:homepage "http://polleres.net"^^xsd:anyURI

HTH,