Re: Subjects as Literals, [was Re: The Ordered List Ontology]

Pat Hayes wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2010, at 9:42 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> Pat Hayes wrote:

>>> A topic for a longer discussion; but irrelevant here, since typed
>>> literals are as unambiguous as a name can possibly get.

>>> It means the number twenty-three, everywhere and for all time,
>>> because this meaning can be computed from the very syntactic form of
>>> the name. How unambiguous can something get?
>>
>> Pat,
>>
>> Re. RDF's triples, What is a Subject? What is an Object?.
>
> "subject' refers to the first element in a triple, "object" to the
> last. One might as well call them 'first' and 'third'. The names
> 'subject' and 'object' are used purely for convenience, and have no
> formal or semantic significance.
>

>> If they are the same thing, why on earth do we use Names (with
>> implications) to describe the slots in an RDF triple?
>
> I do not understand the question here well enough to provide an
> answer. Have you actually read the RDF spec documents? The RDF syntax
> model and the semantics?

You don't understand the question enough to provide an answer, but you
are able to compute an assessment of spec assimilation. WOW !!

>> I've only once seen the RDF triple referred to as O-R-O (by @danbri)
>> i.e., Object-Relation-Object.
>
> IF you read the specs, however, it is abundantly clear that this is
> what an RDF triple means, viz. that a relation holds between two
> objects (I prefer "things", but....).

Exactly!

So why: Subject-Predicate-Object  (SPO) everywhere re. RDF?

O-R-O reflects what you've just described.

Like many of the RDF oddities (playing out nicely in this thread), you
have an O-R-O but everyone talks about S-P-O.

"Subject" has implicit meaning, it lends itself to describing stuff.  If
I recall, RDF stands for: Resource Description Framework.

I guess "Description" also means nothing?

>> In addition, I don't see Information and Data as being the same
>> thing. Information (as I know it) is about Data + Context.  Raw Data
>> (as I know it) is about: a unit of observation and deemed worthy of
>> description by its observer.  You have to give Names to subject of a
>> description. "23"^^xsd:number  isn't a Name.
>
> Why do you say this? It is certainly as much a name as, say, "Patrick
> J. Hayes". It is a well-formed string which denotes something, and its
> denotation is perfectly clear, in fact computable. So, it is a name. I
> challenge you to specify what you mean by "Name" in such a way that it
> excludes literals as names, other than by simply reiterating your bare
> claim that they are not.

I mean an unambiguous Name for a Web of Semantically Linked Data.

"Patrick J. Hayes" simply doesn't cut it as an unambiguous name within
the aforementioned Web.

>> **
>> I guess my own subtle mistake (re. this thread) is deeming
>> Identifiers and Names to be equivalent , when they aren't :-) Of
>> course, one can use an Identifier as a Name, but that doesn't make
>> them equivalent.
>> **
>>

>> One clear point of divergence here is that I am focused on the Web as
>> Dist. DBMS that leverages 3-tuples + HTTP URIs in the S, P, and
>> optionally O slot (aka. HTTP based Linked Data).
>>
>> To conclude:
>>
>> Name != Identifier.
>

>> I believe Subject == Name (an Identifier based Name) re. RDF triples
>> otherwise the triple should be described as: O-R-O or O-P-O.
>>
>> I believe an S-P-O triple is a piece of information (Data Object has
>> a Name and at least one Attribute=Value pair).
>>
>> What I desscribe actually has zilch to do with RDF as I am inclined
>> to believe you see RDF :-)
>
> I see it the way the RDF specifications describe it. I am genuinely
> not quite clear how you see it, but it seems to have very little to do
> with the way it is specified. Perhaps you would be better off using
> something other than RDF.

No comment, really !

Kingsley