Re: Subjects as Literals

Hello everybody,

I think the main issues are already discussed. Hence, here are some
summarized notes of my thoughts:

1. We shouldn't propagate that a user (always a machine or human beeing)
has to go this way and not the other one. Leaving this decision by the
user, leads to more user satisfaction (that's a natural point of view in
my mind).
That means a inverse relation should exist at every time. If a inverse
relation includes a new meaning, e.g. 'child' inverse relation of
'father', than we should define this property explicitly. If not than we
should define at least an anonymous inverse property (as also discussed
here[1]).
The outcome is, that an engine, which processes the statement to the
knowledge base, should always be able to resolve incomming statement. If
the statement isn't in the form as it can be store in the knowledge base
(I think it is better to not store statements of an anonymous inverse
property), than the engine has to transform it into the valid form
(maybe its even enough to store one way and calculate the inverse
relation(s)).
(If the machines haven't the calculation power yet, then they will have
it at least in the near future)

2. We wouldn't write back some literals, if we wouldn't know their
context, e.g. changing a name of a person, wouldn't happen, if we don't
know the person (the identifier of that person). That means we have
always a context.

3. I really don't understand the decision between datatypes and
individuals (and their disjointness as Michael Schneider point it out;
maybe it's a bit naive point of view, or that I haven't such deep
knowledge about really understanding DL).
What about handling (datatyped) literals as in-built individuals, e.g. a
string typed literal would be then internally resolved to an ex:String
individual. We could reuse the well-defined xsd datatypes etc.

4. Don't believe the JSON hype ;)
However, feel free to design a good Semantic Graph serialisation format
based on JSON. JSON looks better than XML. N3 looks also better than
XML. Currently, we have already a a very good Semantic Graph
serialisation format based on N3. Why not hyping this one? ;)

Cheers,

Bob

[1]
http://www.semanticoverflow.com/questions/1126/when-should-i-use-explicit-anonymous-defined-inverse-properties