Re: how to define that a relation is a dataype?

Dan is absolutely correct. See below.

On Feb 22, 2010, at 2:31 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 13:50 -0600, Pat Hayes wrote:

>>> That's completely arbitrary; it makes just as much sense to adopt
>>> the opposite convention.
>>
>> Except that RDF already used this one. Its not completely arbitrary,
>> but in any case its set in stone now.
>
> I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the 2004 specs are silent on the
> use of datatypes as properties. Both directions are consistent
> semantic extensions.

Yes, you are right. So this semantic extension is perfectly legal,
contrary to what I was claiming. <Sound of crows being eaten />

Sigh. However, it seems utterly crazy to me to use the same URI to
denote both a mapping (inside a typed literal) and its inverse mapping
(as a property). If I had even thought that anyone would want do that,
I would have urged that we made it illegal back when we were writing
the specs. The only possible reason for it that I can see would be to
set out to make things deliberately confusing.

Pat