Re: Conference copyright policy versus the web and scientific progress [was Re: CfP Web Semantics (WebS) 2010]

Hi,
just a few remarks

On 20/02/10 21:08  - 20/02/10, Paola Di Maio wrote:

> I  occasionally chair, and if there are no restrictions I obviously
> publish the papers online, but the most prestigious academic
> publications retain copyright.  I also sometimes surrender copyright
> when someone offers a monetary compensation for my work,  which in the
> absence of other funding I must accept.
Actually, the copyright issue is a separate one. What we negotiated for
ISWC was the right for SWSA (the organization that runs the conference
series) to make a copy of the papers freely available online, not
exactly the proceedings themselves, which are still in SpringerLink. The
actual copyright belongs to Springer. The bottom line is that people who
want to access that information can do so freely, but they must obtain
permission if they want to make other uses of it (e.g., re-publish, etc...).

> I welcome your invitation to start taking responsibilty for this, and
> will forward this suggestion to the IEEE events I am involved with
> hoping to encourage it further. Not everyone may be in your position
> to threatene to withdraw (yet) but its worth putting in a word (is
> there a petition anywhere)
>
> i think the tacit strategy is to publish near camera ready drafts in
> the open,  I found more and more recently doint that
Most publishers will allow authors to have copies of their works in
personal sites. As you say, many publish near camera-ready copies, or
extended versions - it's a first step.

Cheers

Daniel Schwabe
Tel:+55-21-3527 1500 r. 4356