Conference copyright policy versus the web and scientific progress [was Re: CfP Web Semantics (WebS) 2010]

The workshop sounds interesting, but the IEEE copyright terms are a
throw-back to the pre-web era.  I personally find it quite annoying when
scientific publications are locked behind pay-to-view policies.  I would
not expect you to be able to change the policies for this workshop, but
I hope that future events will permit authors to make their works freely
available on the web, as that is what best advances science.

Perhaps the credo:
  "If it isn't on the web, it doesn't exist"
should be elaborated further as:
  "If it isn't freely accessible on the web, it doesn't exist"
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My reaction may be due in part to the coincidental announcement of the
Panton Principles that immediately preceded your message:
http://www.pantonprinciples.org/
Those principles nicely acknowledge the importance of freely available
information to scientific progress.

I fully recognize that the costs of running conferences and reviewing
and publishing scientific information must be born somehow.  But
"pay-as-you-view" is not the right model for scientific information.

Thanks,
David Booth

--
David Booth, Ph.D.