Re: FOAF v vCard (was Representing vCard Objects...)

2010/2/15 Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>:
> Yes a good question, Renato, and thanks Josef,
> It would be good if someone could have a go from a further distance.
> So I'll try a different question, which I think we should be able to answer:

I think it's natural to have "friends" and "personal details" a bit
separate - that's what's done in microformat world with XFN and hCard,
so its not only a SemWeb "design pattern".

> "I want to publish some SemWeb about myself, mainly in relation to my
> professional activities. What do I do?"
>
> Should I fire up foaf-wizard or vCard-wizard?
> Or both? If so, what will help me only enter data once?

Well, given the earlier point, ideally at some point it would be great
if FOAF would incorporate direct mappings of PortableContacts, which
is then in turn a superset of vCard. Thus, vCard would be a strict
subset of FOAF. However, I'm not sure what the FOAF community wants
here precisely. I'd be happy to use Social Web XG call time to have
this discussion.