Re: The status of Semantic Web community- perspective from Scopus and Web Of Science (WOS)

Yes, I agree that in order to get a really good overview of the semantic
web community, we need to look at broader range of publications, such as
DBLP, Arnetminer, Google Scholars. But believe it or not, the formal
judge of the scholarly contribution (especially for tenure promotions),
most of the universities took Scopus and Web Of Science (WOS) really
serious. You cannot go for tenure just by writing many good emails, or
W3C technical reports.

Yes, citation can be bias and this debate has been there for decades,
but WOS is still dominating the world of scholarly communication.
Journal editors are still proud of their high Impact Factors (no matter
what). Students might be obliged to cite their supervisor's papers, but
that will not bring you to the top of the top based on hundreds of
thousands of citations.

I will love to collaborate with people who wants to do a thorough
evaluation of the semantic web field as i think it is a high time to do
this and we need this in order to know the current status of our
community. Like Information Retrieval (SIGIR), Database (VLDB, SIGMOD)
or Data mining (SIGKDD) area, they are all well established with their
own conferences, top journals, and field medals. I think it is time for
us to establish such for our Semantic Web Community.

best
ying

--
Ying Ding, Assistant Professor of Information Science
Co-Director of the Semantic Web Lab: http://swl.slis.indiana.edu/

Tel: (812) 855 5388, Fax: (812) 855 6166
Homepage: http://info.slis.indiana.edu/~dingying/