Re: making statements about the lexical form of a URI

On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 20:08 +0100, Nathan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Here's an example mentioned on another list by Richard Cyganiak v recently:
>
>    <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name> foo:uriLength 30 .
>    <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name> foo:uriLength 13 .
>    <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name> owl:sameAs <http://ex.org> .
>
> and here's an example of what one would like to achieve:
>
>    "http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name" a foo:URI;
>        foo:uriLength 30;
>        foo:uriAuthorityHost "xmlns.com";
>        foo:xxxxx <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name>;
>
> The specific question is, how do you unambiguously identify a URI in
> order to make statements about the lexical form of that URI?

In OWL full the domain of owl:Thing is the whole universe of discourse,
including literals. So I believe in OWL Full you can equate a individual
with a literal and then describe properties of that individual:

  [] owl:sameAs "http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name"^^xsd:anyURI;
     foo:uriLength 30;
     foo:uriAuthorityHost "xmlns.com" .

Using a blank node rather than a URI is not necessary but is clearer.

Whether this is of any use to you in a practical setting with existing tools is a different question.

Dave