Re: Hacking RDF with Perl hackathon cancelled

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net> wrote:
> All,
>
> I regret to inform you that the Perl+RDF hackathon that was scheduled for
> next week is cancelled. Due to the volcanic eruption on Iceland, the
> invited guests could not make it to Oslo, and that left us with no option
> but to cancel.
>
> I hope we can try again $later :-)

That's a real shame - very sorry to hear that :(

 Perhaps you could talk through some RDF Perl stuff in IRC and email
as a stopgap?

For my part, I've entirely lost track of what's doable in Perl these
days (having drifted to Ruby/Python mostly).

What are the main opensource pure Perl tools available? How compliant
are they? How much of SPARQL (in memory, in SQL, in other things;
SPARQL protocol; SPARQL 1.1?) is covered? RDFa? GRDDL? OWL? RIF? N3?
POWDER? How do the APIs compare within Perl, and across to other
scripting languages? Are the tools happily packaged in CPAN? (and
Debian etc, if that's needed?). Are they well tested, actively
maintained? Are there things written in other languages but missing in
Perl, which might easily be translated? Or vice-versa - eg. pure Perl
stuff that could help flesh out the Ruby landscape if someone slogged
through and converted it. What's missing and what kind of actions
could help?

I know it's not the same as a f2f meetup, but I'd love to have some
better sense of the Perl RDF landscape...

Sorry again to hear this got cancelled. Amazing the amount of trouble
a volcano can make... ;)

cheers,

Dan