Re: backronym proposal: Universal Resource Linker

On 18 Apr 2010, at 11:18, Dan Brickley wrote:

> So - I'm serious. The term 'URI' has never really worked as something
> most Web users encounter and understand.
>
> For RDF, SemWeb and linked data efforts, this is a problem as our data
> model is built around URIs.
>
> If 'URL' can be brought back from limbo as a credible technical term,
> and rebranded around the concept of 'linkage', I think it'll go a long
> way towards explaining what we're up to with RDF.
>
> Thoughts?

For the linked data movement, that seems like a good idea, definitively.
The fact that RDF is defined around IRIs is great, because it means that we can
be compatible with any future improvements. But we don't have to talk at that level
of abstraction every day.

Henry