Re: Timezone issues with the RDF Next Workshop submission process...

Ivan,

Since you extended, I took the opportunity to upload a cople of quick
thoughts, written up on the fly
and submitted the following note, just to reinforce the points made during
discussions here

I ll be happy to expand anytime, and would like to hear more thoughts from
others on these issues

note: I am not 'volunteering' to attend the workshop, rather
to encourage participation to development from a wider stakeholder basis
using
remote -web based means, where possible/convenient

Thanks for opportunity to share 2c

Best

PDM

THANKS for the opportunity to submit some thoughts

This note contains input which is to be considered as 'strategic free
advice'
and not necessarily as a formal submission to the workshop
(I do not intend necessarily to participate in person but would be grateful
for my thoughts to be taken on board)

Please consider this note as a reinforcement of what already posted on the
SWIG list, and discussed on some other occasions.

1) Many of the problems and uncertainties surrounding RDF today, result from
a development practice that has occurred in a vacuum,
That is development has been led by theorist/theory  has not been taking
onto account sufficiently the user requirements in the practice and the

context in which RDF based technologies need to be deployed (especially the
organisational context)

Therefore i recommend, as already stated, that only by observing and
auditing RDF usage (or lack of usage) in different communities, many of the
answers sought from this workshop will be found.

I have started the following process, for example:

- identify data siloes problem (lack of trasparency, accountability,
continuity, no integration between
information policy and management, general disconnectedness etc)

- work with various experts, including LOD experts, to outline possible
general web based solutions to these problems

- ask the question: how can RDF solve these problems that other solutions
won't fit as well?

- then ask the question: what prevents us from using RDF to solve these
problems?( issues, challenges etc)

the answer to the inquiry above, is likely to contribute a  sense of
direction for the future of RDF should go
it is only in relation to the above context (what prevents us to adopt RDF
to solve our data disconnectedness)
that all the other valid questions listed in the workshop page should be
asked

2) Over the years, I hear different reasons for skepticism of RDF, and
sometimes even form the developers community themselves (...)
 I suggest the development of metrics and parameters for adoption to help
the objective
quantification and success factors of RDF , and other SW efforts, taking
into account what stated in 1)

Thanks for the opportunity to have a say

Respectfully

PDM

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

> As some of you may have realized, the submission script used to submit
> position papers to W3C's RDF Next Steps Workshop:
>
> http://cgi.w3.org/cgi-bin/ops/rdf-ws/
>
> had some problems, and closed the submissions a few hours before Apr 11
> midnight for most of the US time zones. This meant that a few people could
> not submit their contribution. Some of them contacted me directly and I
> added those contribution manually but, according to our logs, there are 2-3
> submissions that did not get to me either (these logs do not store
> additional data, like email addresses).
>
> To help gathering all submissions, we reopened the submission until Apr 12
> midnight _California_ times, so those in the US who were rejected by the
> form can re-submit.
>
> Apologies for this hiccup...
>
> Sincerely
>
> Ivan
>
> ----
> Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
> mobile: +31-641044153

Paola Di Maio
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
Albert Einstein