Re: its name

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 04:45:02 +0200
To: Alexander Johannesen <alexander.johannesen@gmail.com>
Cc: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
On 8 April 2010 04:22, Alexander Johannesen
<alexander.johannesen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 11:51, Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can we somehow spread the idea of digital resources having names that
>> start with http://    ?
>
> I think you're raving mad. It's hard enough to make people understand
> what is meant by a website having an address, and you want them to
> learn protocols and technical jargon, too?

I may well be raving mad, but that isn't far off my point.

People can learn can learn things like "TV" (without having a full
grasp of electromagnetic theory) or even "ADSL" (and you know the
rest).

>> Much that I loath that bloke that coined "memes", there is something there.
>
> Huh? Richard Dawkins?

Yup, him.

>> (less sarcastic, more observational now)
>
> I think you've got too much faith in the human capability of grasping
> something they don't care about.

People didn't care about tv until they saw something that manifested the name.

Would you agree that a URI is a name for a thing? How is that so
conceptually more difficult than ordering a pizza?

I take your point about caring about stuff, but we're wasting our time
if we don't think we're doing something that people might care about.
Or doing a PhD. mileage varies.

Cheers,
Danny.

--