Re: call to arms

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:55:20 +0200
To: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Cc: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, take a person from say 1980, tell them what the Web is about, ask
> them what they want from it.
>
> Transport them to 2010. I suspect they would be disappointed on
> certain fronts, but pretty happy with one or two things, most likely
> awesomised in general.
>
> Now take a person from 2000 and transport them to the year 2030. They
> by now know a fair bit about what the Web is about, but...the Web
> might have changed.
>
> What do you reckon at this rate?
>
> If we can't awesomise the next generation, surely we're doing the
> previous a disservice?

Ok, If we're going in this direction I suggest everyone watch this
great documentary from Douglas Adams. It precedes the Web by a few
months, anticipates it in many ways...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7190175107515525470#
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperland

I think the big question it raises, and what I'm largely working on
these days, is why has all this hypertext / linkyness not affected
televison very much yet?

Dan