Re: call to arms

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:35:52 +0200
To: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Cc: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 March 2010 01:21, Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net> wrote:
>
>> Danny has been one of the most convincing evangelist for years. We need more.
>
> I can't let such flattery go to waste.
>
>> ACTION: Tell a story to people.
>
> Yup. But a *real* story - where are they?

There are lots of kinds of story. We have lots of positive ones to
tell, but especially amongst ourselves we need to tell a few 'well, I
tried it but it didn't work too fine in this context' stories. Part of
having the technology mature is finding a niche, and figuring out the
areas in which it doesn't really flourish. In
http://www.slideshare.net/danbri/when-presentation-849447 I was urging
that we dig a bit more carefully into these various situations where
people have tried RDF and backed away. Examples I touched on there
were Mozilla, Joost and Dopplr, cases where initial enthusiasm fizzled
for various reasons. Maybe I'm being too downbeat, but it's just a
form of impatience because many of the things I want to build / do
will be much more fun when this infrastructure is more mature, and I'm
fed up with waiting. We're getting there :)

cheers,

Dan