Re: [ontolog-forum] Event Ontology

Slightly OT, bit I think it has some resonance...

John F. Sowa wrote:
> Although I agree that the principles of biology are based on
> chemistry and the principles of chemistry are based on physics,
> I also believe that there are laws at each level that would
> be extremely difficult, and probably humanly impossible, to
> translate directly to the lowest possible level.

In support:  I found Prof. Denis Noble's book, The Music of Life, very
illuminating on this topic (http://musicoflife.co.uk/).

Prof Noble has spent much of his career undertaking very detailed computational
modeling of biological systems, especially the heart, which at first appearance
may appear to be a very reductionist approach.  But his overall approach is
almost the reverse, and this is very much one of the messages of this book.

#g