Re: Requesting the RDF MIME type of an image

On Fri, 2009-10-23 at 15:02 +0100, Mischa Tuffield wrote:
> Which you can perform content negotiation on, so that if you :
> request "Accept:application/rdf+xml" you would get back RDF
> and if you request html you would get back an HTML doc, perhaps an
> html page with the image, and a human readable representation of all
> of the metadata.
> and if you request image/jpeg (or whatever the correct MIME type is
> for a .jpg file) you would get back the Image itself.
> This would allow you to change the file format of your picture if ever
> need be (i.e. from .jpg to .png for example), keeping the URI of the
> image constant and neutral to file format.

I don't think this is a sensible way to use content negotiation. An RDF
file and an image are probably not representations of the same resource;
so they should not share a URI. (With the possible edge-case of an image
which is the visualisation of an RDF graph.)

Perhaps:

	GET /images/example HTTP/1.1
	Accept: image/png, image/jpeg, image/*;q=0.5

should return the JPEG, but:

	GET /images/example HTTP/1.1
	Accept: application/rdf+xml

should return a 303 See Other to a different URL (e.g.
</data/images/example> or </images/example;about>) which would provide
an RDF description of the image.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>