Re: Covering Axiom Question

OWL has no "instance of" in the OO sense, much less "direct instance
of". It only has rdf:type or "member of" in the sense of logical class
membership (which often, confusingly, is called "instance of").
"Class" is not used in the OO sense, it's used in the mathematical
sense. So if Primate is the union of Human and Monkey, you're saying
that everything that is a member of the Primate class is either a
member of the Human class or a member of the Monkey class. The
consistency question is then: does there exist a model in which all
the axioms and their consequences are true. If you're missing the
information of whether X is in Monkey vs. in Human (neither membership
is entailed), then there may very well exist two distinct models of
your ontology.

If you stop using "instance of" and just say "member of" you'll be
much less likely to get confused, I think.

The terminological confusions (OO perversion of "class" and
OWL-related perversion of "instance") are hateful, IMO, but we have to
live with them.

In theory one could probably roll an OO-like "direct instance of"
relationship, but it would have to live outside of DL as an annotation
property (as it would depend on the existence of distinct classes
having the same members), and would therefore be inferentially weak.

On behalf of all my bonobo and lemur friends, I take great offense to
your biology, by the way.

Jonathan