Re: Owning URIs (Was: Yet Another LOD cloud browser)

Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> David,
>
> Okay, so you've successfully nudged me :-)
>
> Here is the first cut (others will follow as this was done in haste,
> but demonstrates the essence of the matter).
>
> 1. YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CweYtyw7fnY
> 2.  Vimeo -- http://vimeo.com/4736569

Kingsley,

Thank you for putting together this screencast. I know quite well how
much effort it takes to put together a screencast. :)

What the screencast presented is certainly the story of the Semantic
Web, or maybe one of the stories of the Semantic Web. It is a motivating
story for people already familiar with the vision. Have you shown your
screencasts to people not so familiar with semantic web technologies?
How did they react?

The tricky part here is that when a user types "diane abbott" into
Google, they get 600,000+ results, which sound kinda like 600,000+
"alternative views"--even with eye-catching videos and images. So it's
hard to explain to them about this new kind of "alternative views". It's
a case of "good enough is the enemy of vaguely better", unfortunately.

Or if you type "diane abbott" into Kosmix, you'd get even more videos
and images
    http://www.kosmix.com/topic?q=diane+abbott&searchSubmit=
<http://www.kosmix.com/topic?q=diane+abbott&searchSubmit=>
as well as blog posts, recent news, etc. Perhaps that should serve as
the base case for semantic web screencasts--s.w. screencasts should be
more compelling than what people can already do on the Web?

David