Re: URI lifecycle (Was: Owning URIs)

On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 23:21 +0100, Hugh Glaser wrote:
> Hi David,
> On 20/05/2009 06:01, "David Booth" <david@dbooth.org> wrote:
[ . . . ]
> > In short, although semantic web architecture could be designed to permit
> > unrestricted semantic drift, I think it is a better design -- better
> > serving the semantic web community as a whole -- to adopt an
> > architecture that permits the semantics of each URI to be anchored, by
> > use of a URI declaration.
[ . . . ]
> In fact, how much of all the RDFa that is now being generated gets checked?
> I do take your point that a lot of this is happening with machines, but even
> they will make the same mistake when choosing a URI.

Indeed.  It is to be expected that different RDF statement authors will
differ in the degree to which they check their RDF.  No rules will
prevent that.  But that's a natural result of the diversity of quality
we can expect on the web.  Those desiring to produce better quality data
will do more checking, and by doing so will increase the value of their
data.  Thus there is some social incentive -- however small you consider
it -- to check.

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
Cleveland Clinic (contractor)