Re: Research Illusion

Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> Google scholar provides citation counts, which while still a fairly rough measure, does include an idea of the importance of any piece of work.

Within a sufficiently narrow field, if the statistics are only applied
after a sufficient time, that may be true. However, in application to
academic ranking it can be misused to compare researchers working in
different communities with different sizes and publication rates.
Background citation rates can vary wildly between domains and in some
domains it may be 10 years or more before you know the impact of the
paper.

Even within a community citation statistics are limited and often
misunderstood. For an analysis of this see:
http://www.mathunion.org/fileadmin/IMU/Report/CitationStatistics.pdf

Dave