Re: Research Illusion

Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> Google scholar provides citation counts, which while still a
> fairly rough measure, does include an idea of the importance
> of any piece of work.

I agree that citation counts are a pretty good estimate of a works impact.

A more severe problem from my point of view is the distribution of
research funds.

Existing paradigms seem to be either biased towards large established
organizations or well-connected, long established individuals. For
innovative ideas and younger researchers it is much harder.

I have the vision that research communities' crowd intelligence could be
employed in the Web 2.0 style for deciding about research funding [1].

--Sören

[1] http://wiki.cofundos.org/