Re: vCard - Old vs. New?

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Martin Hepp (UniBW)
<martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:
> Dear all:
>
> As far as I can see, there are now two vCard variants in use - the original
>
> http://www.w3.org/2001/vcard-rdf/3.0#
>
> and the new one
>
> http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns#

In general, the new one is preferred I believe since it does not use
certain RDF constructs like containers in ways and maps in a clear way
to hCard. Its purpose was to be able to allow a GRDDL to be made from
hCard to RDF.

The problem is not symptomatic of vCard per se but that there is no
coherent vocabulary hosting site for the SemWeb and that W3C Notes I
don't think have an easy deprecation technique. I'll bring this up
with Ivan Herman at the next W3C SemWeb Co-ordination Group meeting.

Note that Knud, Peter Mika, and I have tried to update this via
semanticweb.org at the Galway Voccamp.

> Now - which one should data providers and application developers use? I see
> the technical advantages of the new variant and the deficiencies of the old
> approach. However, a quick SWOOGLE statistics shows that there are only 470
> RDF documents using the new version vs. 233,595 documents using the old
> version.
>
> How do current Semantic Web applications handle this issue? Do they honor
> data expressed in either variant?
> I see that Yahoo Searchmonkey, for instance, endorses the new namespace -
> what's with others?
>
> We should not irritate potential users of Semantic technology by already
> confusing them by two vocabularies for such basic data as contact
> details....

Well, there's also FOAF, and Nepomuk has their own contact vocabulary,
etc. Ideally, we would sort this out in the Social Web XG, but any
suggestions for consolidation do make on this list asap. Agreed that
this is a problem.