Re: OWL 2 -- Call for Implementations, new Drafts

SH: "we expect to proceed to Proposed Recommendation and Recommendation."

What i like with the OWL 0, its high understanding of the subject: "Ontology
is a term borrowed from philosophy that refers to the science of describing
the kinds of entities in the world and how they are related."

And what i am missing with the OWL 2, the former definition, belittled as:
"Ontologies are formalized vocabularies of terms, often covering a specific
domain and shared by a community of users. They specify the definitions of
terms by describing their relationships with other terms in the ontology."
http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-overview/

Here are more inconsistencies. "OWL 2 is a knowledge representation
language, designed to formulate, exchange and reason with knowledge about a
domain of interest...these basic notions: Axioms: the basic statements that
an OWL ontology expresses; Entities: elements used to refer to real-world
objects; Expressions: combinations of entities to form complex descriptions
from basic ones".

Let's see what entities are here. "All atomic constituents of statements, be
they objects (John, Mary), categories (female) or relations (married) are
called entities. In OWL 2, we denote objects as individuals, categories as
classes and relations as properties."

Are all these entities, individuals, classes, properties, entities of
real-world objects?

In the primer there is a heading. "Advanced class relationships: (class)
intersection, union and complement",
http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-owl2-primer-20090611/

If somebody proposing a modeling language "designed to represent rich and
complex knowledge about things, groups of things, and relations between
things", it would be wise to distinguish the formal set theory operations,
f: SxS to S, from the relationships proper, R = SxS, where S is an unordered
collection of distinct elements (members, objects, entities), and R is an
ordered collection of distinct elements. The samples of pairing
relationships between sets (classes) are "is equivalent of", "is a
complement of", "is a subset of", "has the same cardinality", etc., between
elements "is equal to", "is less than", etc. In algebra of relation, we do
operations (binary) on relations (binary).

I mentioned before with other standard candidate and have to repeat again:
"Strongly believe any standardization work involving ontology and semantic
technology standards needs a deep fundamental research tested with effective
knowledge and content systems and real world applications."

I'd add: an open public debate as far as "the W3C OWL 2 Web Ontology
Language (OWL) is a Semantic Web language...'', and as far as standards are
today may go as binding laws, both for humans and machines.

Azamat Abdoullaev

http://www.semanticwww.com

http://www.eis.com.cy