Re: [ontolog-forum] Metamodel for ontology registration

John,

Thank you for alerting about another International Standard candidate, now a
unifying framework for classifying and registering metamodels, models and
normative model elements.
The message of the specification is in Metamodel framework for
interopreability: part-2: Core model (97 pages);
http://jtc1sc32.org/doc/N1801-1850/32N1848T-text_for_ballot-FCD3_19763-2.pdf
(defined as "framework for registering artefacts that are based on metamodel
amd model").
The substance of MFI core model is the terms and definitions section, based
on UML and MOF terms, starting with "abstraction", defined as "essential
characteristics of an entity that distinguish it from all other kinds of
entities", seemingly confused with "attribute". Entity defined as "any
concrete and abstract thing that exists, did exist, or might exists
including associations among (instances of these) things."
In the random order, there also given  the senses of object, artefact,
instance, container, and class, metaclass, classifier, class diagrams, and
classification; characteristic, attribute, feature and property; operation
and role; relationship, with its subclasses, subtype, superclass, supertype,
association, generalization, specialization, dependency, link, and pattern.
Relation is narrowly defined as "semantic connection among model elements".
Some meanings are interesting, as conceptual data model, "data model
representing an abstract view of the real world", concept, framework, or
class diagram, " a collection of model elements such as classes, types, and
their contents and relationships", or class itself, "description of a set of
objects sharing the same attributes, operations, methods, relationships and
semantics".
Re. Ontology registration, its classification mechanism is based on
so-called "labelling-quadrant", involving four basic notions: ModelSign
(with its definition), ModelConcept, ModelInstance, ModelSelection, all used
to label and classify ontology components. International Registration Data
Identifier (IDRI) is relied on data identifier, registration authority
identifier, and version identifier; an example: modelsign format:
sign/conceptid/domain name/rai/version.
Metadadata Registry components (Data Element Concept, Conceptual Domain,
Value Domain, Data Element).
Given that we are lost in all sorts of information standards, just w3c has
been managed to create 110 standards (must be in the Guinness book of
records), another one will not make a difference unless it is involving
ontology. Then it should be recognized that the specification is lacking
effective modeling constructs, as many other existing ontology language
standards, and as such, hardly can make a standard for ontology registry,
imo.
Strongly believe any standardization work involving ontology and semantic
technology standards needs a deep fundamental research tested with effective
knowledge and content systems and real world applications.

Azamat Abdoullaev
http://www.standardontology.org