Re: Schism in the Semantic Web community.

Hi Olivier and all,

One additional piece of news that may be of interest here: the Ontology
Definition Metamodel (ODM) was formally adopted as an OMG 1.0 standard
last month at the Santa Clara OMG meeting.  The finalized specification
will be published on the OMG web site sometime next month, but in the
interim, the current beta specification is available at
http://www.omg.org/spec/ODM/1.0/Beta3/.

We are launching an Eclipse Modeling Project (under the MDT heading),
planned for the upcoming Galileo release (June 2009), that will include
ODM metamodels, profiles, and APIs, derived directly from the standard.
The profiles provide the ODM-based UML graphical notation for RDF, RDFS,
OWL, and Topic Maps, and the metamodels provide the XMI support for
model interchange, required to help connect the software engineering and
semantic web communities.   Participation and feedback from this
community is most welcome.  Once we've launched the project, I'll
forward the announcement to this list.

While we are a little behind the OWL 2 work at OMG (and thus on this
Eclipse project), both Evan Wallace (NIST) and I have been members of
the OWL 2 working group from the outset, and plan to introduce work at
OMG to augment the ODM to support OWL 2 once the language is
sufficiently stable.  Among the issues we will need to address are: how
to organize the UML/MOF models to make it relatively easy to adopt
specific profiles of OWL 2, what kinds of visual cues would be helpful
from a graphical notation perspective, and whether we need a standalone
metamodel for OWL 2 that we then map to an RDF-compatible metamodel, in
the way that the language specifications are organized (ODM 1.0 does not
do this).  The APIs developed for the Eclipse project may or may not be
similar to the Jena API -- although the HP Labs/Jena team has had
significant influence on the ODM and are also participating in the
Eclipse project.  "Stay tuned" is the only thing we can say about this
at the moment.

Long story short, I think there is indeed an effort to continue to
support the RDF and OWL user communities together -- at least from a
software engineering / OMG perspective, and we look forward to working
with this community to support your requirements.

Best regards,

Elisa