Re: EU FP Ontology projects

Hi

shameless self-ad:
Maybe you should look at the contribution from the NEPOMUK project
FP6-027705,
we created ontologies (I am co-author of many of them) for knowledge
worker data sources (email, files, contacts, addressbook) by improving
the existing w3c ontologies.
they are here:
http://www.semanticdesktop.org/ontologies/
project:
http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/

and some of these have been embedded in the KDE 4.0/Linux platform,
leading to a very big deployment
of RDF on desktop computers - the strigi/soprano search-engine of KDE4.0
was based by us on RDF and ontologies - big exposure to the public.
http://nepomuk.kde.org/

they are now managed here:
www.oscaf.org

NOKIA (who were NOT project partners!) say about our ontologies:
===
"We examined the NEPOMUK ontologies and found that they are a well
suited for our plans for the Nokia Maemo platform (www.maemo.org) based
next generation internet enabled mobile devices.

We are developing a mobile semantic content storage and retrieval
solution that uses NEPOMUK as its base ontology.
We are in the process of adapting and extending the ontologies and
pushing the changes to be part of the NEPOMUK standards.

The recommendations created as standards by the NEPOMUK project are a
solid foundation for the semantic mobile content solutions we are
working on."

Urho Konttori
Project Manager
Nokia - Maemo Desktop Data
===

I can also comment on the NeOn statement below:
we used ontologies as data standards. very pragmatic, very
time-intensive to do, but it solved some itch that was there. Key is the
business case - if someone is willing to pay for an ontology, you have a
higher chance to get it done.
second to that: test-data. have testdata at hand, examples of
information, which you want to express
in your ontology. (use cases, requirements, etc).
imho only third comes the decision if you want to reuse, integrate, go
LOD, or similar.

hth
Leo

It was Azamat who said at the right time 27.02.2009 12:53 the following
words:

Leo Sauermann                 http://www.leobard.net
                           http://leobard.twoday.net
How to remember things?