Re: pdf and the semantic web

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Thanks John, tagging the atomic
content, not the pdf as a whole, is exactly what I would like to do. How is
this related to the SW? easy, papers have concepts, concepts are in
ontologies, ontologies can point to resources capable of consuming those
concepts. This is particularly true in Life Sciences.

The actual "why" for my email: I am doing research on the intersection
between  folkwonomies and the semantic web in digital libraries. So far, I
have not found a realistic way to use a PDF in an open manner, similar to
the way one could use a latex file. All those libraries, APIs, XMLs, etc etc
are great, some of them facilitate by a lot whatever one wants to do with
the PDF. But so far, IMHO the PDF remains not so open, and also IMHO is not
part of what we could classify as generative technology -which is what could
make the difference in the scesess of the SW, see *futureoftheinternet*.org/
for generative tech.

again thanks a lot to all of you.

--
Alexander Garcia