Re: ontology of (open source) licenses?

Dan and John,

I have a start with extensions to http://creativecommons.org/schema.rdf

oegov, Ontologies for e-Government at http://www.oegov.org, uses the
RDF vocabulary of the creative commons at http://creativecommons.org/schema.rdf
  . This is extended with some OWL constructs, for example,
AttributedSource, in the ontology cc.n3. Note that  http://creativecommons.org/schema.rdf
   has something wrong with its data type for date. This I will report
in an email to the authors in another email.

See the following pages at the http://www.oegov.org/blog for more
details and context:

http://www.oegov.us/blog/?page_id=105.
page catalogs more ontologies for eGov - http://www.oegov.us/blog/?page_id=13
, for example the QUDT (http://www.qudt.org) ontologies for
Quantities, Units, Dimensions and Types deriving from work at NASA on
the Constellation Program.

An Open Source Ontology would have to use a vocabulary of software
engineering/computer science subject areas. Where might that be, I
wonder?

Regards, Ralph

ps: @ralphtq, @oegovnews on Twitter

On Aug 20, 2009, at 9:07 AM, Dan Brickley wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 7:38 PM, John Graybeal <graybeal@marinemetadata.org
> > wrote:
> (Sorry, I sent this Aug 13 right after I changed my subscribed
> email, and I can't verify it went through. Trying again.)
>
> Does anyone know of a good ontology, umm, highly structured
> vocabulary in RDF or OWL, of open source licenses?  Ideally it would
> be reasonably complete; not so critical that it be ontologically rich.
>
> Not exactly what you ask for, but the CC-rel design from the
> Creative Commons team might be relevant: http://www.w3.org/Submission/ccREL/
>  (it allows simple licensing conditions to be expressed, such as
> attribution names and URLs.
>
> If you find something interesting, don't forget to share it here :)
>
> cheers,
>
> Dan

Ralph Hodgson
CTO and Executive Partner
TopQuadrant, Inc., www.topquadrant.com, Office: (703) 299-9330
Direct: (650) 265-0529, Fax: (425) 955-5469, Cell: (781) 789-1664