Re: [foaf-dev] [foaf-protocols] FOAF sites offline during cleanup

Steve Harris wrote:
> On 29 Apr 2009, at 14:06, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> Steve,
>>
>> If we isolate the "FOAF Profiles" bubble of the LOD-Cloud pictorial,
>> would you say these sources are representative:
>>
>> 1. http://esw.w3.org/topic/FoafSites
>> 2. http://pingthesemanticweb.com  (PTSW)
>> 3. http://sindice.com
>
> It seems highly unlikely.
>
> The only way to get a representative sample is to select some of the
> data randomly.
Okay.

So I end this thread by asking: isn't that basically what we have in our
instance? Its data comes from the sources above plus others.
> ESW links a human-curated selection of sites, PTSW gets fed similarly
> similarly and Sindice crawled, IIUC.
>
> I don't think anyone even has a good idea of how many FOAF files are
> out there, to know if they have a good selection or not. I think we
> have 12 million or so unique ones, but we know there's an awful lot
> more out there.
>
> Ontop of that, "FOAF" is especially vague, eg. do qdos.com profiles
> (eg.
> http://qdos.com/user/Steve-Harris/18b6f60b41e05aaa418565ebfe901d6b/turtle) count
> as FOAF profiles? They have foaf:People in them, and use one or two
> foaf properties, but foaf: is not the most common prefix.
>
> What about DOAP files with lots of FOAF in them? Some use foaf: more
> than doap:, and so on.
DOAP files are picked up from PTSW and a few other data sets that use FOAF.

Maybe we chat by phone of private IM (IRC, Twitter, Identi.ca etc about
this) ?

Kingsley

--

Regards,