Re: advice on modeling an XBRL fact as a triple

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008, Ralph Hodgson wrote:

> Bob and Dave,
>
> Just caught up with these posts. Last year, I discovered some work
> on XBRL in OWL from a project called Bronto in Europe. A
> screenshot of an example from Bronto, using TopBraidComposer is
> shown below:
>
> [IMAGE]
>
> Note that the 'froms' and 'tos' are strings.
>
> The base uri for this work is http://nets.ii.uam.es/bronto/ifrs-gp.
> Bronto can be found at
> http://www.tifbrewery.com/tifBrewery/writing.htm#BRONTO
>
> I will need to find time to look over this work again to assess
> what it all means in the light of the discussions you are having.
>
> When I was at IBM, I was involved in the first versions of XBRL,
> as IBM's representative in the specifications work. I recall
> discussion on making XBRL more expressive but the constraints of
> XML and XSD were ever present. Expressing XBRL in OWL remains a
> keen interest of mine.

Thanks for the pointer to the Bronto project, it looks as if it is
related to the EU project named "MUSING" on semantics-based business
intelligence soutions, see http://www.musing.eu

The XBRL 2.1 specification is essentially a framework for defining
taxonomies and as such can be used to extract semantics from XBRL
filings. XLink is used to express relationships between concepts
defined as elements in XML Schema. As such, the concepts belong to
the target namespace defined by the schema. XBRL seems to lack a
formal treatment of provenance and the means to verify authenticity,
and I intend to follow that up with XBRL.org.

Can you say any more about how the constraints of XML and XSD
limited XBRL taxonomies?

Many thanks,