Re: Future Internet Symposium - Vienna, Austria, September 28-30 - Call for Participation

Hi John,

John Domingue wrote:
> ***Apologies for cross postings****

(no worries, hope it's ok to treat it as discussion fodder...)

> [http://www.fis2008.org]
>
> We are pleased to announce the Future Internet Symposium (FIS 2008)
> which will take place in Vienna, Austria, September 28-30.  FIS 2008
> will provide a forum for researchers and practitioners from academia and
> industry to exchange ideas related to the Future Internet - a new planet
> scale network able to truly meet the societal and business demands of
> the 21st Century.

Could you tell us a bit more about it? Is there buy-in to the notion of
a "Future Internet" from outside the European funding zone, or is this
somehow the European Future Internet? To what extent do you expect specs
defined over the good old Internet (eg. the current Web stack) to work
just fine in this new Internet? The impression I get from
http://www.future-internet.eu/ is that this is a central organising
concept for the next phase of 'futuristic Internet' funding/research/etc
in Europe, but it's unclear how literally to take the talk of a 'new
network'.

Re the "a new planet scale network able to truly meet the societal and
business demands of the 21st Century." part, is there a suggestion that
the Web as currently defined ( http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/ and
suchlike) is failing society in ways that can be improved by a better
Internet layer?  To what extent do you see those changes affecting the
kinds of thing we care about in the SemWeb world? Should we expect
discussion of a "Future Web" too?

cheers,

Dan

--