Re: SWIG F2F during W3C TPAC week, Oct 20/21 (Cannes, France)

2008/9/1 Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>:

> From: "Hausenblas, Michael" <michael.hausenblas@joanneum.at>

>> Peter,
>>
>> >I would be very interested in reading a full specification of
>> >N3.  Could you point me to one?

best I know of is:

http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/cwm.tar.gz

(although I'm not sure about literal handling)

>> Dunno, is http://www.w3.org/TeamSubmission/n3/ 'full' enough?

> In a word, "non".  In two words, ....  (You probably don't want to know.)
>
> Can I take that document and reliably implement N3?

Try it. Who knows? ;-)

Perhaps I could
> implement a tool that takes an N3 document and produces a related RDF
> graph although I'm doubtful of even that.

I would imagine that depends which constructs of N3 are used. (I
believe in general you'd get multiple graphs + rules)

However, I believe that there
> is no chance that I (or anyone else) could use solely that document to
> implement reliable reasoning in N3 or to develop a formal meaning for
> N3.

I've not spent much time with N3 proper, but it does strike me as
worthwhile exploration. Also I hate to have to contradict you, but I'm
sure you personally could develop a formal meaning for N3 (i.e. fill
in the blanks), and I've no doubt the creators of N3 would be grateful
for it to appear in the next rev of the spec.

But Michael, Phil, Peter, whoever started this thread - is there any
particular reason you need N3 over the Turtle subset (plus maybe
SPARQL's notion of named graphs)?

http://www.w3.org/TeamSubmission/turtle/

Cheers,
Danny.