RE: Semantic Suggestions please ...

Neil,

This is getting easier to do, and Mark points out the value of RDFa to
assist. Two things available publicly that you might want to look at, as
they might expedite your goal.

Thompson Reuter's Calais project (www.opencalais.org) seems useful for
content that has strong public entity identification - and your content
seems to fall into that category. It is an API service that does entity
extraction based on their large db of known entities, and returns the
identified entities as tags that you can embed in your content. High profile
public uses of this include plug-ins for WordPress and Drupal, and Gnosis -
a FireFox plug-in provided by ClearForest. However, this may be a quick way
help to generate tags for all your unstructured content (not magic - you
still need to review and add your own specific tags).

There are probably a few other extraction tools around - let me know if you
want me to pull further references.

Also, Yahoo's launch of SearchMonkey developer environment
(http://developer.yahoo.com/searchmonkey/) includes good simple
documentation on embedding RDFa into web pages, and a growing community of
search tool developers looking to consume it!

Finally, www.ecoresearch.net is an interesting news aggregator focused on
climate change and energy. I'm not sure your journal fits their model, but
you might want to share it with your colleagues as an example of the types
of things you could do.

I hope that helps,

Duane Degler