Re: Dataset vocabularies vs. interchange vocabularies

Richard wrote:

> And that practice can have additional  practical/implementation benefits
> (and costs). Hence, consider both  options;

Indeed, and I think it is still too early to say which strategy will be more
practical and more sustainable in the long term. Right now, the focus of the
LOD community seems to rest on "growing the cloud". Making the clould grow
is certainly simpler when we just mint new URIs and somehow map to existing
URIs, making this option more attractive for the task at hand. At the same
time, there are still relatively few non-prototypical software applications
that make use of the LOD cloud. I have the feeling that when the focus
shifts from growing the cloud to developing applications in the near future,
the costs and complexities associated with massive redundancy of URIs will
become much more visible than they currently are.

Cheers,
Matthias Samwald

* Semantic Web Company, Austria
* DERI Galway, Ireland
* Konrad Lorenz Institute for Evolution and Cognition Research, Austria