Re: Domain and range are useful Re: DBpedia 3.2 release, including DBpedia Ontology and RDF links to Freebase

Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
> Paul Gearon a écrit :
>> While I'm here, I also noticed Tim Finin referring to "domain and range
>> constraints". Personally, I don't see the word "constraint" as an
>> appropriate description, since rdfs:domain and rdfs:range are not
>> constraining in any way.
>
> They are constraining the set of interpretations that are models of your
> knowledge base. Namely, you constrain Fido to be a person...
>
> But I grant you this is not exactly what most people expect from the
> term "constraint"... I also had to do the kind of explainations you
> describe...

Yes, exactly.

In earlier (1998ish) versions of RDFS we called them 'constraint
resources' (with the anticipation of using that concept to flag up new
constructs from anticipated developments like DAML+OIL and OWL). This
didn't really work, because anything that had a solid meaning was a
constraint in this sense, so we removed that wording.

This is a very interesting discussion, wish I had time this week to jump
in further.

I do recommend against using RDFS/OWL to express application/dataset
constraints, while recognising that there's a real need for recording
them in machine-friendly form. In the Dublin Core world, this topic is
often discussed in terms of "application profiles", meaning that we want
to say things about likely and expected data patterns, rather than doing
what RDFS/OWL does and merely offering machine dictionary definitions of
terms.

cheers,

Dan

--